News report on the opening of the West Gate Bridge with an interview with Elsa Davis.
See more historic images at http://www.pinterest.com/vicroads
- Reporter6: The largest cable-stayed, box-skirted bridge in the Southern Hemisphere is now open. It's called the Westgate Bridge and it spans high across the Yarra River, which has always divided east and western Melbourne.
- Elsa Davis: Oh it's paradise -- it's really unbelievable anything like this. I didn't think it was like this. It's so high. It's so wonderful.
- What can you see?
- The view and the Yarra. The Yarra. And everything. You can see the whole of Melbourne. Far greater than the Sydney one, the Harbour Bridge. Although that's wonderful too.
- It is, isn't it?
- Yes it is, because this is longer. Oh yes.
- Are you happy?
- Happy? My happy day today.
- Elsa Davis -- isn't she a lovely lady